A Master and disciple are sitting next to a flowing river...

Disciple:
Master, I do not understand why life can't be full of happiness at all times.
Master:
What is troubling you?
Disciple:
Conflicts, conflicts, conflicts. There are just so many of them in my life.
Master:
Who is causing the conflicts?
Disciple:
I don't know. I learned that the first step in changing others is to change myself, but you can't keep giving in all the time right?
Master:
Conflicts are inevitable. No two personalities are alike, there are bound to be differences. It's what you do with the differences that determine whether you are happy or miserable.
Disciple:
I do not understand master. How can two people who disagree on something make each other happy? What do you do when you have differences with another person? What if my happiness is dependent on someone being wrong and me being right?
Master:
As you travel your journey through life, there are bound to be those you meet who are in tears, having met great difficulties in life. Then there are times when you will meet those who have enjoyed great happiness from accomplishing or experiencing something they have wanted or needed. Which would you rather see?
Disciple:
Well, it depends on whether that person is someone I like, or someone I hate. Right? Master laughs.
Master:
What if you are dying on your deathbed, reflecting on your life? Would it matter much then?
Disciple:
Well, I don't know. I guess at that moment, all those conflicts will seem so insignificant and stupid. I will probably like to see everyone happy.
Master:
Your life is very short and precious here. What you do with it determines what you want out of life. Would you rather share happiness with someone, or be part of a conflict with someone?
Disciple:
In this case, share happiness.
Master:
Would you rather share happiness with one person or many people?
Disciple:
Many of course. The Master became silent after hearing this.

Comments

Rowan said…
nice, you write this? or this an old proverb or something?
tao1776 said…
A zen proverb
Rowan said…
ahhh! either way tho' I like it!

Popular posts from this blog

TaoSpring - pallet chicken coop

Seasons - garden update

I hate bad news