TaoSpring - pallet chicken coop
I had less than a month to build a suitable coop and chicken run. I had very little money to work with. Having seen many coops and out buildings that people have assembled using scrap pallets, I thought that I would give it a try. Starting with two 4 x 8 pallets as the floor, I assembled all the available pallets that I could find.
This is the frame of the coop. It will measure approximately 8ft x 8ft. Saltbox style roof will be 9 feet at the front and will taper down to 8 1/4 feet in the back. My inspiration is drawn from the bottom photo seen here. I varied the plans to accommodate the unevenness of available pallet size. In a perfect world a 4' x 4' pallet would make pallet building as easy as playing with Lego's. Unfortunately downsizing has effected everything. Most pallets now measure 48" x 40" and the solid 4' by 4' pallets are usually reclaimed by their owners. Oh, they're out there, but I am looking to build for as little cost as possible. All that I have purchased thus far is a box of nails for less than $2.00 The pallets were free from my place of employment including the two 4' x 8' pallets that make up the floor. I originally planned on siding it with bark slabs and running the run from off the front: 8ft x 16ft long and 7 1/2 ft high. There's a window on the east side of the coop and the top (the space between the pallet ends and the roof) will be for ventilation and will also be covered with chicken wire.
The girls doubled in size since their liberation from the egg so I needed to build, and build quickly. I used scrap plywood for the floor and assorted nuts and bolts to hold the frame together. I found myself laughing at how tight it was for all the odds and ends that were being used. I covered the outside with OSB and using knotted and warped 2 x 4's when I needed them. So far, the cost was far below $75
The run frame is 8 x 16 rough Fir. Cost for each was minimal. Check your lumber yard! The chicken wire was donated. The nesting boxes are lightweight plastic totes that I mounted on the wall. I cut out two thirds of the cover and placed them back on, filled with hay and mounted a 2x4 underneath to give the boxes a slight tilt inward. They love em'!!
If you have any questions, please free to ask but I would much rather hear your story. Send me a blog or Facebook link.