I came upon a child of God
he was walking along the road and,
I asked him where are you going
and this he told me...

I was hopeful, but buying into the whole Love-Peace gig of the 60's and early 70's was counter-current to my experience. From my mates in school, to those in the community. Those in political power or in positions of influence; too many were living lives of quiet desperation. As if there was something inherently bad about "Another Pleasant Valley Sunday..." "Like every great religion of the past we seek to find the divinity within and to express this revelation in a life of glorification and the worship of God. These ancient goals we define in the metaphor of the present — turn on, tune in, drop out."

I grew my hair and wore outlandish clothes. I thought that getting back to nature meant no littering and smoking marijuana. I didn't attend my high school graduation and asked that they send my diploma in the mail. I stole Abbie Hoffman's book entitled, "Steal this Book." The draft ended a few months before high school graduation. My cousin was in Vietnam and my brother in Germany. There was little sense to the direction that life was taking. Deaths of icons, boys in battle, a world in protest trying to define itself,

"I'd love to change the world
But I don't know what to do
So I'll leave it up to you."

I connected with Townsend's prayer,

When my fist clenches, crack it open
Before I use it and lose my cool
When I smile, tell me some bad news
Before I laugh and act like a fool

If I swallow anything evil
Put your finger down my throat
If I shiver, please give me a blanket
Keep me warm, let me wear your coat

The sands of an hourglass fall one grain at a time. One after the other they drop. In and of themselves they make no great impact; it is in their accumulation that you realize their presence. This is the greatest visual symbol of time. As the sand begins to accumulate in greater volume below than volume above, I wonder, what has changed?

This Being Human....

has almost an infinite capacity for taking things for granted. (Huxley)

should remind us to; be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. (Plato)

that; the individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. (Nietzsche)

Live each season as it passes. Breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each. (Thoreau)

we're all afraid that if we leave, we'll become the life of the party. (Groucho)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TaoSpring - pallet chicken coop

Seasons - garden update

I hate bad news