15 Questions that Reveal Your Ultimate Purpose in Life

I have come to the conclusion many years ago that life has no purpose. What I mean by that I guess, is that our life is like a dance. Or the movements of Tai Chi. You don't analyze (though some do) every move that you make on the dance floor. You dance. Mind you, there is a period of learning Tai Chi, or perhaps dancing, where you do break down all the moves into "movements" or "forms" with the ultimate goal being that you "forget" the movements and forms and you just dance.
But I have of late (for the last 4 freakin years!!!!) have seen my dance evolve into a very messy break-dance sort of routine and I thought that maybe this kind of questioning might lead to something.
So here goes!

by goodlifezen
The following fifteen questions led me to find the purpose of my life. You may find that they work for you too. . It’s best to work your way through the questions one at a time, coming back to the task again and again, until you have completed all fifteen questions. Make sure you have a notebook at hand to record your answers.

1. What is your greatest barrier to following your dream?What is it that holds you back? Fear of failure? Fear of ridicule? There seems to be no opportunity? Do you think you lack talent?
I don't seem to have a dream. I do subscribe to all of my needs and some of my wants. I dream of being more healthy. Having good relationships. Of being less introspective. But I have no specific dreams that I am aware of. Maybe finishing my book? How about a becoming a Unitarian minister? HA! Got you on that one!


2. How do you label yourself and how does that restrict you?This question reveals another barrier to finding your life purpose. What kind of labels do you stick on to yourself? Check out in which way these labels hinder your development. Are gender, age, talent or other issues a limiting concern for you?.
I label myself as being old, in pain, off and on fearful about a wide array of things. I would like to feel younger, have better health (see last post) and have more confidence. Have less social anxiety disorder underpinnings.

3. What drives you? When you’re relaxing with friends, what do you love talking about? Is there a theme that makes you feel animated?

Well, I suppose that I like talking about my two favorite beers which are hard to find done right. Finding the perfect pint of Guinness is not an easy thing to do. Everyone wants their beer cold and fast. Guinness is a craft pour and not just another pint of quaff. The second beer is and ESB. Extra Special Bitter. The People's Pint in Greenfield, Massachusetts has the best. I did undergo a four hour long assessment test once that said I would make either a great brew-master. I do love the creative aspect of beer making. I have had over twenty years experience working in a lab formulating and color matching paints, stains, printing inks, etc. My current customers (I'm the paint guy at your friendly neighborhood True Value Hardware store) tell me that I am too big (Leos love to have their egos stroked!) for what I am doing. You usually have to go to a decorator supply store to get the level of teaching and color matching and advice giving that I dispense. There isn't an equal to be found in the area! Woooooo! So I like to create and build a craft. Hmmmmm. Maybe on to something.

4. What interest or passion are you most afraid of admitting? Maybe it’s something you think other people might scoff at. Or maybe you fear that your passion sounds too grandiose?
Being a teacher (of what?) or yes, a minister. I do not subscribe to the doctrine of Christ crucified for the forgiveness of sins but I do believe, or feel, or subscribe to spirituality and love. I think that that encompasses the beliefs of all others. It doesn't negate them. I had a very profound "born again" experience when I was twenty. I don't profess to understand it, in the light of my testimony of not believing in the Christ doctrine, but I don't negate it, either. And I won't negate your beliefs either.

5. What hidden clues does your home reveal? Walk around your home as if you were a detective. What clues to your passions do you find? What do the photos or pictures on the wall reveal? What about books or mementos on the shelves? If you did not know this person, what would you guess about his or her passion in life?
My library is filled with Taoist and Buddhist literature. History books. VW books. The house shrines Buddhas, various deities, and is an eclectic museum of Guinness collectibles to Apple Watt. I would think that the person(s) that lived here were studied and wise. But I don't feel it!

6. What did you want to become as a child? What childhood dreams did you have about your life?
Not sure about this one either. Rock star? Disc jockey? Really, all I ever wanted is a sense of security in a very insecure world. It was really that simple.

7. What are your strengths? What are you particularly good at? Some psychologists take of signature strengths that make us who we are. Check them out here and then write down your top three strengths.
Me -
http://www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu/results.aspx?id=270&it=1&langid=1033

Your Top Strength
Judgment, critical thinking, and open-mindednessThinking things through and examining them from all sides are important aspects of who you are. You do not jump to conclusions, and you rely only on solid evidence to make your decisions. You are able to change your mind.

Your Second Strength
Forgiveness and mercyYou forgive those who have done you wrong. You always give people a second chance. Your guiding principle is mercy and not revenge.

Your Third Strength
Appreciation of beauty and excellenceYou notice and appreciate beauty, excellence, and/or skilled performance in all domains of life, from nature to art to mathematics to science to everyday experience.


8. What do you want to be when you grow up? Forget for a moment that you’re an adult. Close your eyes and ask yourself what you want to be when you grow up. Immediately write down the answer - without analyzing. Most likely the answer will surprise you..
A super hero.

9. What do you secretly love about yourself? Sometimes what we like about ourselves isn’t what we are particularly proud of. Be honest and write down what you like about yourself.
That I care. I detest it as well. I view it as a feminine characteristic or trait. I am sensitive. Not delicate, but sensitive.

10. What would you do if you knew you wouldn’t fail? Fear of failure stunts our dreams and actions. If you knew you couldn’t fail, what would you do?
Wow! Damned good question. I'd give the house to the kids. (or at least one of them) I'd lightly pack and then I'd travel. I've never been outside of the U.S. I drove across country once. (not too bad considering ((big admission here!)) that I was agoraphobic until age 20. It still torments me. Its an adrenaline disorder. Call me a coward and I may fucking kill you, if I'm in the mood!)

11. How would you like to make the world a better place for yourself and others? This question teases out your aspirations. Aspirations are the stars by which we walk our path in life. What are your aspirations?
Only to leave each person I met feeling better than before I met them. Not to reflect on me, or anything that I did, but to in turn give an act of kindness to the next person they meet.

12. What would you do if money was no barrier?Dream big for a moment! What would you love to do if you had all the money you needed? Would you travel the world? Or build an eco-house? Or help people in need? Or start a business? Or build an empire? Or study?.
Travel - help people - study

13. What would you regret on your deathbed if you hadn’t done it? Imagine that you are dying. What would you feel you’ve missed out on? What would you regret not having done?
Honestly - I feel full of regret and fear that when I die I will still be full of regret. And I'm not too sure what it is that I'm so regretful about. There are some thing, however its mostly free floating regret. Weird, huh?

14. What would be the smallest step towards your following your passion?If we look at the whole mountain we want to climb it just seems too difficult. The secret is to start walking. Action is the key to success. And it is also
the key to good fortune. See if you can chunk down your passion into just one small step. What would that be? How could you take this first step today?
See Last post.

15. Who will be your support person?It can be hard to make big changes on your own. Maybe you have a trusted friend you could talk to? Or maybe you would like me to
support you?.Once you have completed all the fifteen questions. Take some quite time on your own and slowly read through the answers. Notice which answers leap out at you. Highlight the ones that give you a sense of energy. Then compare the answers that you highlighted. Now underline those that ring true for you. You can follow this process of elimination until your just have a few answers left. Is there one amongst them that brings you to tears?
I'll have to think hard on number 15 and get back to you.

Purpose?


Even the finest teaching is not the Tao itself.
Even the finest name is insufficient to define it.
Without words, the Tao can be experienced,
and without a name, it can be known.

To conduct one's life according to the Tao,
is to conduct one's life without regrets;
to realize that potential within oneself
which is of benefit to all.

Though words or names are not required
to live one's life this way,
to describe it, words and names are used,
that we might better clarify
the way of which we speak,
without confusing it with other ways
in which an individual might choose to live.

Through knowledge, intellectual thought and words,
the manifestations of the Tao are known,
but without such intellectual intent
we might experience the Tao itself.

Both knowledge and experience are real,
but reality has many forms,
which seem to cause complexity.

By using the means appropriate,
we extend ourselves beyond
the barriers of such complexity,
and so experience the Tao.


.

.

Comments

Wow... what a total honest post. I hope you can get over your fear and travel more. Traveling makes me happy.

Popular posts from this blog

TaoSpring - pallet chicken coop

Seasons - garden update

I hate bad news