At my home, we seldom lock the doors. Even when we're away for the day. We're in the middle of a middle class neighborhood where everyone pretty much minds their own business. I suppose a truck could back up and load away and no one would call the police reporting suspicious activity. We're located in the part of town that was once known as "the patch". It was the Irish part of town. Perhaps I do the ancestral spirits of the neighborhood a tribute by my oft loved pint of Guinness. We live in the "Old Sullivan House". As one of Scot-Irish descent on my mother's side, it seems appropriate.

Here, at the cabin, in the middle of the wood, I do lock the doors; even when I'm in. I have pondered this sense of insecurity. I was reminded of the old Zen story about a warrior and his troops who stormed the village and found their way into the Buddhist monastery. They beat the priests as they looked for treasure. The captain of the troops was called forward to deal with the Zen patriarch who stood silent yet defiant before the assaulter. The captain drew his sword and yelled at the priest, "Don't you know who I am? I could run you through in an instant without even a care"! The Zen monk finally spoke and responded, "Don't you know who I am? You could run me through in an instant and I wouldn't care"! Ha-ha-ha-ha.....Gets me every time!

It rained very hard here last night. As it began, I watched peacefully. As the night wore on, meditation was uneasy. Taoism warns against energy movement during stormy periods. Perhaps this was it. My mind was uneasy. I observed a feeling arise. I felt as though I were being watched. I made a mental note of the feeling and decided that meditation was out of the question for tonight. There are times when, "Yes, this too", works within meditation and times when you know that it is time to redirect. I laughed as I rechecked the locks before turning in.

In the morning, the rain was a drizzle and the day gave hint at possible sunshine before mornings end. I stood on the side porch and stretched while performing some simple breathing exercises. I noticed in the mud surrounding the porch several dozen paw prints of varying size. Looked as though several dogs were here. Took a few seconds to realize that they were coyote. Very prevalent in the area. Seldom seen but evidence of them is on the rise.

"Hello!"

Damned near pissed myself. Seriously! My hunter friend from the other day come by to pay me a visit. Shocked that he found me. Equally shocked that he came by. I never let on that I was staying here and he never asked.

He came with a gift of raw honey from his place and I welcomed him in. First visitor that I have had since my arrival on September 23rd. I can only sum up the conversation and emotion of the visit by quoting the words of Black Elk. Perhaps this will give a hint at what kind of guy he is. He appears with wisdom simply spoke and I am honored to have him as my guest.

-The power of the World always works in circles,
and everything tries to be round....
The Sky is round,
and I have heard that the earth is round like a ball,
and so are the stars.
The wind, in its greatest power, whirls.
Birds make their nest in circles for theirs is
the same religion as ours....
Even the seasons form
a great circle in their changing,
and always come back
again to where they were.
The life of a man is a circle
from childhood to childhood,
and so it is in everything
where power moves.

Comments

Loralee Choate said…
This mystery hunter-man is becoming more cool by the moment. I am intrigued by him and hope that he comes by again and that you tell us about his visit.

Plus, he brought honey, which is divine.

Popular posts from this blog

TaoSpring - pallet chicken coop

Seasons - garden update

I hate bad news