I climbed the hill managing to avoid the hidden patches of ice. I listened to the wind call out my name and the names of anyone with the ability to listen. The black winged sentries repeatedly cawed at my approach until I finally got the joke and laughed right along with them.
The straight and high pines that stab with green at the sky appear happy but much of their happiness is overshadowed by the loneliness that comes in missing old friends. The strong Elms are now but a memory. Wizened Oak grew old and died, never to re root or be replanted. Neighboring Apple trees were neglected and were cut down for romantic and aromatic fires.
The stone walls told stories of those men that pulled them from the ground and lined them up endlessly through hill and wood. They have seen them all come and go.
At the far end of the road you will find the old cemetery dating back to the American revolution and before. The most well preserved stone is thus so because it is facing opposite its neighbors; never seeing the harsh weather head on. It is also not made of the traditional granite but of slate. The grave is that of the first free black man to reside and die in town.
Although it is cold and breezy, I have the strong compulsion to make love. Like the buck in rut I smell the earthy delight of life. I breathe deeply and draw the energy deep within me.
I don't know if I am sensing something intuitively or if my increasing levels of pain are telling me something. Regrets. Desires. Anger and sadness.
My strength wanes.



Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds like a very beautiful and peaceful walk. Full of history. Full of hope.
Very vivid and descriptive. I could feel myself there at those places.

As you know, observations are so painful sometimes but also helpful in reassessing our present circumstances.

May your awareness lead you where you need to go next brother.
Mike Golch said…
sounds like you had a graceful talk with nature.

Popular posts from this blog

TaoSpring - pallet chicken coop

Seasons - garden update

I hate bad news