Darkening of the Light - The Winter Solstice

We have all met them. You know, that remarkable person or persons that you gain strength from being with. Someone whose radiant joy and whose embracing outlook on life, masks a laugh lying just beneath a broad smile; the sort of laugh that makes you smile and has you feel alive and special.
We like these kind of people.
And then there are the curmudgeons. The misanthropes. Those that feel the weight of the boot upon their neck.
Its hard to spend time with these oxygen sucking, spiritual vampires.

"OH MY GOD!!! LOOK WHAT I HAVE BECOME!!!!"



As one who has followed the lessons of the Tao, I have been able to let thoughts rise, enter, and pass on. Like I have stated here many times before; in music or when you dance, you roll with it. You don't get stuck on one musical note. You don't stand in a catatonic pose. You roll, you flow, you move. Like the oak, with its rigid and strong branches breaking when under great stress, a pine might release the weight of a heavy snow letting it fall from bough to lower bough.

"I WILL TAKE THE RING TO MODOR."

Ever the serious one, much to my demise, and a withering idealist to boot, I stand true to my convictions come what may. And this often comes at a high price. I sometimes think that this is what stands behind the words of many of the Taoist sages as they hold to no opinion at all. All conflict is, in truth, inner conflict. If one was to be truly disengaged from ambition, results, and hope, there would be no inner conflict and no conflict would then exist. It would sometimes seem that the, "Oh so serious one," with the weight of the world upon his shoulders, is very aware of my own stink and longs for the easy going style that at one time, seemed omnipresent.

The Book of Oracles, the I-ching seemed a good place to look for some perspective and how I might stop the struggle, the feeling that I am in contention with life. So I looked to the Oracle for direction;
Ming I/ Darkening of the Light Hexagram 36
In a time of darkness it is essential to be cautious and reserved. One should not needlessly awaken overwhelming enmity by inconsiderate behavior. In such times one ought not to fall in with the practices of others; neither should one drag them censoriously into the light. In social intercourse one should not try to be all-knowing. One should let many things pass, without being duped.
It further counsels that I should act as a stranger in a strange land. In other words, keep a low profile. I can be of little influence during this period. Confucius said about this image, “The light has sunk into the earth. Beautiful and clear within, gentle and devoted without, hence exposed to great adversity. Surrounded by difficulties in the midst of his closest kin, nonetheless keeping his will fixed on the right.” It is a time to persevere, be steady, regardless of my frustration concerning family, career, social commitment.

This is hard for a Leo!

As with the Winter Solstice, this is not as bad as it might sound. The light has found its darkest point. Although there are the blustery winter months to come, it also signals a turn to lengthening light.

Can I get an A-men!







Comments

someone once told me 'the light is where you walk' ... sometimes i can't see myself ... or the path of my life is a complete blizzard-white-out, and obscuring the light.

yes i have met those amazing people you speak of ~ the ones that seem to reach inside you, and stroke your restless, unsettled heart. just their presence does something to you ... what blessing such individuals are, truly.

Popular posts from this blog

TaoSpring - pallet chicken coop

Seasons - garden update

I hate bad news