Hospitals and Jails...


I was once employed by a Mental Health organization that held Support Services contracts with the area hospitals and jails. I was on-call 24/7 to lend any assistance that I could to nurses and policemen when there was a danger that an individual might harm him or herself while under their care. It made for some long and tiring nights but it was rewarding and often very entertaining.
I didn't mind being in the ER or jail as a member of a support team. Being in the ER or in jail because I belong there...well now, that's a horse of a different color.
We will leave the jail stories alone but I have found myself in the ER as a patient far too many times during the last decade. I do share some responsibility. As the typical male (at least in this case) I hang on too long with whatever is ailing me and I find myself receiving emergency treatment.
Today, I awoke with hives that refused to respond to my repeated dosage of Benadryl. By three o'clock my throat was closing and I was a pulsating orb from head to toe. Of course they responded with adrenaline and steroids and a breathing treatment. The hospital was loaded to overflowing and I was a member of the ER hallway patients. The adrenaline gives quite a rush that leaves one shaking like a leaf.
Its all wait and see now with more meds and an Rx for epi-pens.
Hmmmm.

Comments

kdada said…
I hope you're ok Tim!
Synchronicity said…
how are you? it is always a frightening experience to go to the ER. i hope you are better by now.

Popular posts from this blog

TaoSpring - pallet chicken coop

Seasons - garden update

I hate bad news