We took the four plus hour ride back from mid-state Maine leaving shortly after noon. I knew that the roads would be busy. I'm never afraid of a little traffic but this was ridiculous. A four plus hour ride turned into a six plus hour ride.
I know that people are on vacation. My foray into Maine was family business, wrapping up the estate of my wife's grandparents home. Knowing that what we experienced on I-95 and 295 and 495 was being repeated in just about every major state highway system in the country is rather sad. Gallons and gallons of gas and millions of cubit feet filled with carbon monoxide.
There were back ups for miles. Even when the highway opened up and returned the masses back to their 20 mph over the actual posted speed limit, it was still one large moving parking lot for as far as the eye could see.
Travel is good. I don't discourage it. But there are wonders right in our own back yard that are worth seeing, that for many often go undiscovered.
I'm planning once again, to introduce some new friends to a day trip into the Connecticut River valley not but an hour away. The scenic drive is filled with the greatest examples of what New England has to offer. Rivers and streams with wooded hills and forests. A visit to the top of Mt. Sugar loaf. A visit to the Buddhist Peace Pagoda. The fertile farmland produces grand crops of potatoes and squash and corn and is also well know for its outer leaf tobacco used by fine cigar companies throughout the world. Wrapping up the day with a great pint of ESB or a Guinness with a little food and conversation makes for a great day.
It was nice to see the family in Maine but the cost was high. Next time I'll take the midnight run and travel in the company of the stars and a bright silvery moon.
That would be much better company.

Comments

Loralee Choate said…
One thing I want to do before I die is to go all over New England. I've never been further north than NYC.

I bet it is breathtaking.
You said:

Travel is good. I don't discourage it. But there are wonders right in our own back yard that are worth seeing, that for many often go undiscovered.

And that is soooo true. I never cease to be amazed and entertained by the little sparrows that feed at our bird feeder. They are spectacular.

Traveling is fun as you said but it is nice also to come home to your own bed. I am so appreciative that I have a bed.

All the best my friend. :)

Popular posts from this blog

TaoSpring - pallet chicken coop

Seasons - garden update

I hate bad news