Many of you have heard me tell the story of my time within the Christian mainstream in the seventies. Yes, I was a Jesus freak. It was common for us to hit the streets and "Preach Jesus." I enjoyed this part of the "outreach ministry" and I sincerely wanted people that were facing periods of intense insecurity to pray; To ask Jesus to enter their lives and offer them guidance and salvation. I did not ask them to join my church, to come meet with my group or to take my advice as to where they might begin to look for spiritual guidance. I made the mistake in believing that God was big enough, that Jesus was capable of, helping and guiding someone who had enough faith and hope to just ask for it. I guess this approach was frowned upon. I was told by my church elders that the reason I was out there preaching was to direct them to my church, my group. I wasn't supposed to understand or to ask questions. I was in God's Army! As is true with any soldier that is e...
Recently I had my son install some foam board insulation under the flooring of my mudroom which has been at one time part of the porch outside of the kitchen door. You see, we expanded the kitchen by tearing out the partition that separated it from the small mud room and pantry making for one large entry way in which you could take off your boots and hang your coat. He tore this picture away from the poorly insulated wall. It is from a 1914 newspaper. It is Winston Churchill. The headlines tell of the allied victories taking place in France against the German war machine. Of course this made me think of my father's involvement and eventual p.o.w. status during the second world war. Do we ever stop killing each other and fighting for one cause or one country against another? The answer is, "No." Then I thought of this story from an old Taoist sage; It seems there was a man who came upon a "stinktree" on his property. Looking up to its tangle of leaves and branche...
I'm tired. Stressed. Angry. The dog's on the couch licking his rectum. I'm feeling like if I owned a gun, I'd splatter his hide all over the wall. My blood sugar is running high from the agitation. Not to mention the lack of exercise that descends with each winter's lack of light. My head is spinning. Blame. Guilt? My oldest daughter bought a car that I saw in the paper. I didn't have time to look at it with her. I had her ask her brother to go with her. He never got out of the car. He's not to blame. Doesn't know much about cars. Not sure if I'm to blame for that or not. She bought the car. Two days later the brake line sprung a leak. Closer inspection reveal the need for all new lines. KA-Ching! Then her engine blows a head gasket. Replacement should include not only the gasket, but the timing chain and the water pump since you're in there. It is a sweet looking (if that's possible) 1995 Neon. It will need at least a $1,000 to repair everyt...
Comments